Sunday, March 13, 2005

The day I met Ronald Reagan

Toronto Star
Copyright
Jun. 7, 2004.

Reagan genuine American hero
By
Michael McCafferty

America mourns Ronald Reagan

More than 29 years ago, back in 1975, I was in Washington, D.C. attending a convention of the American Young Republicans. I was all of 24 years old. It was a Saturday morning about 6.45 a.m. when I got into the hotel elevator to attend a breakfast in honour of a former California governor named Ronald Reagan. As I got into the elevator there he was. As large as life: Ronald Reagan.
In my youthful excitement, I quickly stuck out my hand and introduced myself to Reagan. I told him I was from Canada and he kindly told me it was nice a young man from Canada was interested in the affairs of the United States.
When we got down to the lobby Reagan autographed the back of my business card. Today it is a prized treasure to me.
That business card became my ticket to getting many wonderful signed White House photographs and letters from President Reagan. Later on, he would personally autograph his books for me. And Prime Minister Brian Mulroney was so very kind in sending me a gift of a very large beautiful colour photograph of him and Reagan signed by both of them. These are my treasures of Ronald Reagan.
In 1984, I had the honor to attend Reagan's second nomination at the Republican convention in Dallas and then was invited to his 2nd inauguration in Washington in January, 1985, which I also attended. The last time I saw Reagan in real life was in 1988 at a gala banquet in his honor in Washington.
Ronald Reagan was my hero. To me Reagan is one of the giants of history along with Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill. Reagan was truly a good and decent man for whom I will always have a special place in my heart.
Reagan was truly a genuine American hero. God bless him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Welcome to michael mccafferty's world ! It is my hope to share with you my heartfelt thoughts on subjects near and dear to me. Again welcome. And please feel free to post.

Regina,Canada