Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Canada's 13th Prime Minister John Diefenbaker

Leader Post
Regina,Saskatchewan,Canada

Copyright 2002

Thank you for your wonderful editorial, "Remembering Dief the Chief" (Leader-Post, Jan. 12).
As one who served as a special assistant to the Right Honourable John George Diefenbaker from 1976-79, I have many heartfelt fond memories of him.
There is a special place in my heart for the memory of Diefenbaker. I was very loyal to The Chief and loved him as if he were my grandfather.
That is why I very much appreciate this fine editorial, which concluded with the statement: "John Diefenbaker won't soon be forgotten."
It is my belief there are thousands of Canadians from British Columbia to Newfoundland who would agree.
Your editorial is quite right in stating, "there is no denying the deep affection for 'the Chief' held by many voters old enough to recall him." Twenty-two years after his death in 1979, I still have deep affection for my mentor and friend, Dief the Chief.
The first time I met him, I was 14 years of age. The Chief had come to Fredericton to campaign. The year was 1965 and Canada was in the middle of a federal election campaign.
As a young lad, I was in awe of the man from Prince Albert and worked my way through the crowd so I could shake his hand. I remember telling the Chief that someday I wanted to work for him.
My dream came true and one day he brought me onto his staff as a special assistant in his office at the House of Commons in Ottawa.
To me, he was truly a genuine Canadian patriot who was a defender of the mythic "little people".
I remember the countless letters he received from every part of our wonderful country. Those letters were proof that The Chief was really a hero to countless Canadians.
One of my most personal and special memories was of the time my beloved grandmother came to Ottawa for the first time in her life. My Nanny was born in 1895, the same year as him.
I took my grandmother into The Chief's office and what was supposed to be a short meeting turned into a couple of hours.
My grandmother adored Diefenbaker, and when she died, he honoured her with special flowers and a very loving letter to me in which he wrote: "Your relationship with your grandmother was in the finest tradition."
One Christmas, he gave me a special edition "toby mug" bust of himself as a gift. And now, when I show it off to people, I ask, "How many people can say they got a replica of their boss from their boss ?" Simply stated, that gift is one of my treasures.
Though he is no longer of this earth, I want to share with Saskatchewan folks my enduring love for The Chief. He was a man of deep faith and -- just as importantly -- a man of honor and integrity.
The history books will judge his record as prime minister, but I am certain he will always be remembered as a good and decent man who loved Canada.
Dick Spencer, former mayor of Prince Albert, wrote a wonderful book called Trumpets and Drums: John Diefenbaker on the Campaign Trail. I commend that book to readers who want to reflect on the life and times of John George Diefenbaker.
Yes, I have many wonderful memories about the Chief. As long as I live, I will do my part to ensure that John Diefenbaker will not be forgotten.
The Leader-Post editorial about him opened a floodgate of memories for me. As one who loved the Chief and gave him great loyalty I want you to know that I am grateful for the good words you wrote about him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Welcome to michael mccafferty's world ! It is my hope to share with you my heartfelt thoughts on subjects near and dear to me. Again welcome. And please feel free to post.

Regina,Canada