Saturday, October 15, 2005

Abraham Lincoln book by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Copyright Publishers Weekly

Pulitzer Prize–winner Doris Goodwin (No Ordinary Time) seeks to illuminate what she interprets as a miraculous event: Lincoln's smooth (and, in her view, rather sudden) transition from underwhelming one-term congressman and prairie lawyer to robust chief executive during a time of crisis. Goodwin marvels at Lincoln's ability to co-opt three better-born, better-educated rivals—each of whom had challenged Lincoln for the 1860 Republican nomination. The three were New York senator William H. Seward, who became secretary of state; Ohio senator Salmon P. Chase, who signed on as secretary of the treasury and later was nominated by Lincoln to be chief justice of the Supreme Court; and Missouri's "distinguished elder statesman" Edward Bates, who served as attorney general. This is the "team of rivals" Goodwin's title refers to.

MICHAEL McCAFFERTY comments:

Abraham Lincoln has been an inspiration to me ever since I was 9 years old and read my first book about America's 16th president. Lincoln,in my opinion, was one of the greatest leaders in the history of the world -- and for the past 45 years I have read as many books about Abraham Lincoln as possible.

Doris Kearns Goodwin is the author of Team of Rivals : The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln . Goodwin who is a very remarkable and outstanding American historian is the author of several great books about American presidents -- and her book about Abraham Lincoln will be I predict a NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Welcome to michael mccafferty's world ! It is my hope to share with you my heartfelt thoughts on subjects near and dear to me. Again welcome. And please feel free to post.

Regina,Canada