Wednesday, July 06, 2005

NEW YORK TIMES REPORTER JAILED

Copyright NEW YORK TIMES
July 6, 2005


New York Times Reporter Jailed for Keeping Source Secret

WASHINGTON, July 6 - A federal judge today ordered Judith Miller of The New York Times to be jailed immediately after she again refused to cooperate with a grand jury investigating the disclosure of the identity of a covert C.I.A. operative.


CLICK HERE
to read entire NEW YORK TIMES
article.

Michael McCafferty comments:

"If journalists can't be trusted to honor promises of confidentiality, then journalists can't function and there is no freedom of the press," Miller told the judge. "I do not make confidentiality promises lightly, but when I do I keep them."

Freedom of the press and confidentiality are very very important in a nation like the United States or for that matter Canada or any other free society.

I hope this case goes to the United States Supreme Court.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Welcome to michael mccafferty's world ! It is my hope to share with you my heartfelt thoughts on subjects near and dear to me. Again welcome. And please feel free to post.

Regina,Canada