Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Deep Throat of Watergate identified

copyright CNN


Washington, DC -- The legendary source "Deep Throat" in the Watergate scandal that brought down a president was identified Tuesday by Vanity Fair magazine and The Washington Post as W. Mark Felt.
Felt, now 91, was the No. 2 official at the FBI in the early 1970s. The information he provided Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein helped them break many of the stories that led to the resignation of President Nixon in August 1974.
The revelation ended more than three decades of speculation about Woodward and Bernstein's famous confidential source in reporting on the cover-up by the Nixon White House following the bungled break-in of National Democratic Committee headquarters at the Watergate office-hotel complex in June 1972.

CLICK HERE to read the entire CNN story about Watergate's DEEP THROAT.

michael mccafferty comments:

Back in 1973 and 1974 I became hooked on Watergate and the Congressional hearings. At age 22 I was literally a walking encyclopedia on Watergate as it unfolded. Later on I would read the best selling books All the President's Men by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein. And later on The Final Days.

For over 31 years I have been trying to guess who the secret informant DEEP THROAT is.
Truth is --- I guessed wrong.

I belive Mark Felt is a patriotic American who could not stand to see the corruption of Watergate and that was his motive in leaking major information about Watergate to Bob Woodward.

As one who admired Richard Nixon I have mixed emotions about all of this. I have always thought that Richard Nixon was a victim of Watergate. That irresponsible political hacks
led to the break in at the Watergate -- and that Richard Nixon became a victim of this.

At the end of the day I believe in years to come history will be kinder to Richard Nixon -- and yet I believe too that Mark Felt has earned his place into American history as a patriotic citizen who sought to do good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Welcome to michael mccafferty's world ! It is my hope to share with you my heartfelt thoughts on subjects near and dear to me. Again welcome. And please feel free to post.

Regina,Canada