Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Stronach crosses floor to join Liberals

By ALLISON DUNFIELD
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Copyright Globe and Mail
By ALLISON DUNFIELD

OTTAWA

In an explosive development leading up to Thursday's dramatic budget vote, Conservative MP Belinda Stronach has crossed the floor to join the Liberal Party as the new Human Resources Development Minister.


Click here to read the report from the Globe and Mail.

michael mccafferty comments -

Belinda Stronach today put Canada ahead of politics.

Stronach said what a lot of 'conservatives' like me were thinking -- that it is bad to have a deal with the devil -- in other words having an unholy alliance with the separatists -- the Bloc Quebecois.

Partisan Conservatives will attack Belinda Stronach and call her an opportunist. I will not be one of those people.

40 years ago this year back in 1965 I met that great Canadian John Diefenbaker. Mr. Diefenbaker stood for 'One Canada - One Nation' -- and that is what Belinda Stronach stands for.

Belinda Stronach is a truly remarkable woman with a great vision for Canada. At my age of 54 I put Canada before politics and that is why I respect and admire her decision.

Belinda Stronach is a profile in courage ! I wish her well.
















2 Comments:

Blogger Larry Birkbeck said...

Belinda is one conservative that was not going to put up with Stephan Harper's controlling nature any longer. It was a courageous decision for Belinda to cross to the liberals.

Interestingly, the conservative caucus members said they were shocked and Harper said he knew it was coming. That confirms that Harper is not sharing everything with his own caucus.

Belinda is now being condemned by all conservatives because she has hit them hard for not choosing to consider her political views and make the necessary adjustments.

Here is another interesting point. The Harper conservatives can work with the Bloc separtists in an attempt to bring down the liberal government and force an election on the nation that very few want, but they can't work with one of their own caucus members.

It was reported that Harper and Stronach had engaged in numerous shouting matches in Harper's office.

I left the conservatives in December of 2004 for all the reasons Belinda left the conservatives in addition to a few more. I understand her leaving and more politicians should stand their ground and refuse to be controlled by political leaders and their equally controlling operatives.

Belinda and I share one thing; we are both in control of our political and personal lives.

I wish her every success!

8:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael - I concur with your opinion and comments on today's events. Nicely said.

11:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Welcome to michael mccafferty's world ! It is my hope to share with you my heartfelt thoughts on subjects near and dear to me. Again welcome. And please feel free to post.

Regina,Canada