Saturday, June 18, 2005

Father's Day

Father's Day was first celebrated in Spokane, Washington on June 19, 1910. Sonora Smart Dodd originally thought of the idea while listening to a Mother's Day sermon the previous year. Dodd and her five siblings were raised single handedly by their father, William Jackson Smart, after their mother died during childbirth in 1898. Her petition advocating a national father's day was supported by the local ministerial association and the Young Men's Christian Association.
By 1924, the idea of a national Father's Day was so popular that President Calvin Coolidge supported it. However, it was not until 1966 that a presidential proclamation declared that the third Sunday of June as Father's Day. This proclamation by President Lyndon Johnson was made permanent by President Richard Nixon in 1972.

Here in Canada we too honor our fathers on Father's Day.

michael mccafferty comments:

My father would have been 83 years old this month. He died at age 60 back in 1983. On Father's Day I miss my Dad. My Dad had a heart of gold and he loved his family very much.
Though my Dad was born in very poor and humble circumstances he rose above it all and
he and my Mom raised a family of seven children.

Dad was a good Roman Catholic man who had a good Irish sense of humor and he taught me and my brothers and sisters the importance of God and family.

On this Father's Day if your Dad is living let him know your love him and make him feel special
because my friend there will be a day when he isn't around for you to tell him.

Yes, I miss my Dad but I praise God that I was blessed by such a wonderful Father. He was truly an Irish gem.... God bless Francis McCafferty (1923-1983)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Welcome to michael mccafferty's world ! It is my hope to share with you my heartfelt thoughts on subjects near and dear to me. Again welcome. And please feel free to post.

Regina,Canada